I have a confession to make. I have a bag fetish. Yes, this is Kevin talking, not Clare. Oh sure, you wouldn't be surprised to hear a woman talking about her bag or shoe fetish, but guys just don't get the same kind of sympathy and respect for admitting they love and covet things to put your feet or your cameras in. Speaking of respect. I also have been working up the courage, for several years, to carry a MAG, or Man Bag. I bought this super cool one in Florence, Italy years ago during one of our photo workshop tours and for some reason I have only been able to carry it proudly when gallivanting around Europe. I envy the man who can strut a swanky MAG and maintain his masculinity – assuming that's his goal.
In a future post, I'll share some cool tips and gadgets for going on photo adventures abroad, including my favorite photo backpacks. But wait, Clare is just dying to share her baggy favorites too!
Hi everyone, this is Clare, Kevin’s wife and partner in all things ;-). I’ve been shooting weddings with Kevin for over 20 years now and I’ve got a lot to say about finding a good camera bag. For years I hoped and prayed for someone to come out with the perfect camera bag for a woman, as I’m sure many others did. Now camera bags for women are popping up everywhere and I’m loving it! When Kevin and I were in New York for the Photo Plus convention last October I got this great bag from Tamrac. Kevin’s been using Tamrac bags forever, so we headed over to their booth to say hello and see what was new. I was immediately drawn to the Tamrac Aria 6. This fun raspberry bag is the same size as my current wedding gear bag, and much cuter ;-). It was also the first Tamrac bag that came in a fun feminine color. The days of all black are over for me.
- The size. I’m a petite person, so carrying around a huge bag on my shoulder for an 8 to 10 hour wedding would put me out for at least a week. I don’t think my kids would allow me that much recoup time. I usually have 2 to 3 lenses in my bag and I’m able put all of those as well as a flash in this bag because I have my camera in my hands all the time – so I don’t need a space for it in my bag while I’m working.
- There is a nice slot pocket in the back to put any paper work I have as well as a pen or other small items I may need to grab quickly.
- In addition to the big closure flap there is also a zipper closure that keeps all your gear safe even when you have the flap flipped open. Even with the zipper open the design would still do a pretty good job keeping equipment protected. I can’t tell you how hard this feature has been for me to find!
- There is a front pocket as well that has a zipper closure. I like this for storing things like car keys, wedding emergency kit items, etc. I can use one hand to open and close it which is a must since I’ve got my camera in the other hand.
- It’s got a pocket on each end. Perfect size for my cell phone which I access often to keep track of the time. You’re always on a tight schedule at a wedding! The other one fits a water bottle perfectly, as long as it’s a small one.
- Inside there is a padded slot pocket perfect for an ipad. There is also another zipper pocket. A great place to store your cards.
- The fabric used for the outside of the bag. I’ve had nice clothes ruined way too many times from those rough nylon fabrics you find on many bags. This is nice and smooth which also allows for easy wipe downs when needed.
- The strap. It’s adjustable. We’re all different sizes, so adjustability is key! The strap also has an adjustable shoulder pad made with a slightly grippy material on one side.
- The chrome buckles. This just adds to the feminine factor. Women love details like that.
Thanks so much for reading! Enjoy your holidays and I hope you get to make some great memories.
Congratulatons to our randomly selected bag winners!
#2 is Teri Schaefer who will get Clare's bag the Aria 6 5426
Congratualtions to our winners and thanks to everyone who entered. Have a wonderful holiday!